Thursday, June 26, 2014

Authorbuddies

How well do your books sell in other countries? Personally, I've only had a handful of scattered sales. Many of the mailing lists I advertise with are only targeted at the U.S. market. (I think eBookSoda is an exception, as it seems to be based in the United Kingdom.) What marketing is most effective in other countries? Well, the best way to find out is by talking to other indie writers, and a new website called Authorbuddies will help you do that. (I just learned about them through Passive Voice.) By signing up with this free service, you can network with other authors, find out what works in their country, and help them learn what works over here. I haven't signed up yet, but I plan to. If you're familiar with this site, please comment and let us know what you think of it.

4 comments:

  1. Back when I was serializing Shadow Spinner, I picked up quite a few sales in other countries. The expected: UK and Canada, and the unexpected: Germany (a lot of sales in Germany). There were others here and there. Since the Spinner serialization ended, I have had only one foreign sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I searched for Mystery/Thriller authors and it came back with two results--one of them was me. It seems like another one of those sites that might not be all that useful until more people use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew: Sounds like serials have been effective for you. Do you have any tips on making them work? (It could be the subject of another blog post.)

    Pat: Good point. Of course, the more people who talk about sites like these, the more people who will sign up for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I get ready to do my next serial (hopefully before the end of the year), I'm sure I'll be talking about the process again. I do have a few posts about it on my blog, though.

    ReplyDelete